Not sure where to start on your journey to boarding school? A great first step is connecting with an experienced Educational Consultant who will guide you through the process. They work for you, so their insights and recommendations have your child's best interest at heart.
Benefits of an Educational Consultant
9 Reasons to Work with an Educational Consultant
- Objective assessment of student and family. An educational consultant will assess both students and family to set clear, appropriate goals for the admission process.
- The perspective and judgment to say, “We need to know more,” and seek educational assessment and testing when needed.
- Recognizing and analyzing any learning differences or special needs.
- Educational consultants know schools often appear quite similar. In reality, each school and student are a unique fit. Educational consultants know that the devil is in the details; consultants regularly visit schools to gain firsthand experience of each school’s unique perspective and workings.
- Knowledge of the admission process. An educational consultant helps families build a plan or a map to follow so that no piece of the admission process suffers from short shrift or omission.
- Guidance driven and shaped by what’s best for the student.
- Professional judgment. If the situation is not a good fit for the student, the educational consultant will say so and redirect to other school options.
- Ongoing support. Consultants provide additional follow-up and insight once a student enters their new educational setting.
- An understanding, professional advocate for the student.
What to Expect When You Work with an Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA) Member Consultant
IECA member consultants are trained professionals with extensive knowledge of educational options. Their expertise, combined with a supportive, intentional approach to understanding your family, will help you identify a school that is academically, culturally, socially and financially appropriate.
As a student or parent, you may be considering boarding school as an alternative to your current school for a variety of reasons, including the desire for more opportunity, more activities or more individualized attention. Boarding schools provide exciting learning environments where students can thrive and learn to do more than they ever dreamed. The right school provides numerous opportunities for students to maximize their potential, developing new interests, skills and lifelong friendships.
There is a lot to consider when choosing the right school. An IECA member consultant will meet with your family to learn as much as possible about your student’s unique skills, interests, likes, dislikes, strengths and needs, and develop a personalized educational plan.
The independent educational consultant will then build a list of schools that could be a fit for your student. This list is based on a deep knowledge of schools, and informed by consultants’ ongoing travel to campuses, meeting with staff and current students, touring dorms, observing classes and extracurricular activities, and learning about each school’s specific identity and core values. This expertise also draws from years of placing students with a range of skills, talents and interests, varying backgrounds, and learning styles. Independent educational consultants know what questions to ask and what to see during their visits, so they can bring the right information back to you, equipping you with everything you need to make the right decision.
After the decision is made, and a school is chosen, IECA member consultants remain in touch with you, while monitoring your student’s progress to ensure a successful boarding school experience. Some independent educational consultants may also help your family with longer-term college and postsecondary educational goals.
By taking the time to listen to your specific wants and concerns, IECA member consultants guide families through the complex process of investigating all available educational options, and find the best fit for your student, saving you energy, time and valuable resources.
What should you expect to pay?
Some educational consultants offer an a la carte menu of services and others offer a set fee per engagement. Which option is better for you may depend on your individual needs and wants.
Would you like to speak with a boarding school expert?
Educational Consultants have extensive, personal, and current knowledge on what boarding school is all about. This free, 20-minute phone call is designed to connect you with a boots-on-the-ground expert. Their primary goal during this 20-minute conversation will be to learn about your specific interests and answer your questions.
This is a non-binding, complimentary consultation that does not obligate you in any way to engage with an Educational Consultant or the Educational Consultant originally connected with you. The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), will connect you personally with an Educational Consultant in your metro area where possible. We will email you with the Consultant’s name and ask that Consultant to contact you.
Participating Educational Consultants are members of the Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA). Click the button above to learn more!